Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tyler Update




So we took Tyler in for his MRI and EEG on Monday, and before we even left he had a seizure. To me I was thinking there was no better day for him to start doing this again. So on the way to the hospital he had another one, and this wasn't so good because he just wants to sleep after he has these and I was supposed to be keeping him awake. So we get to the hospital and get in to the EEG and he was beyond mad so they were not able to get anything on it because he was just screaming, so I was thinking great not only are we going to have to come up here again but we are going to have to pay for this again. Finally I got him calmed down and he fell asleep and then he began to have another seizure. You do not know how excited I was that he did it while he was hooked up to the EEG! If you don't know anything about EEG's if they don't seize during an EEG than more than likely they will not pick anything up and you're back at phase 1. So we got done with the EEG and went to get his MRI, and while they were prepping him for sedation, he had another one. This was 4 seizures in 4 hours, that is the most he has ever done. For the first time in 2 1/2 months someone besides us saw this happen and it was the nurse in there with us and she became very concerned about him and to me she is our angel because she knew he needed to be taken care of right then and there not whenever we get results. So she talked to some Dr's and it turned out they wanted to admit him to the hospital. This was really hard on us because who wants to see their baby in the hospital. But it really was a good thing. They were able to look at his EEG and MRI right away and we found the MRI was fine, there was no abnormalities, which is a relief. But the EEG came back saying that he had a seizure in the right frontal lobe and it then increased to his whole brain. So they are calling it a generalized seizure because there is no distinct place it occurred. So they started him in a medicine called Phenobarbital, and they watched him through the night, which was the worst night of my life, I got about 1 hour of sleep, and he cried most the night, and he has never done that. So morning came and we got the lab tests that they did and all that came back normal and his level of phenobarbital was good which meant we could go home with him if we were comfortable enough, and luckily we were because we couldn't do that night again. So one Dr told us he probably has epilepsy, but the neurology dept probably will just diagnosis him with seizure disorder and hopefully he won't have anymore seizures by being on this medicine and if he doesn't he won't have to take it anymore. So he is doing good, he is a little tipsy, almost like he is drunk, but he is doing good and I am so thankful for all those people at Primary's, you can tell that they really care about the health of your child.
Here are some pictures of him in his little hospital bed with all the darn cords on him.

4 comments:

Henry Family said...

Poor little guy!

Christian and Melissa said...

Thank goodness it's something that can be treated! What a little trooper. You were seriously blessed that he was having such a rough day before the EEG. You may not have any answers yet if he wasn't! I hope things are getting better. It's hard to have something wrong with your babies, but it is such a blessing when it is something that can be controlled in one way or another. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

ApRil & Heath said...

:( Poor ty ty, those pictures are so sad to even look at.. I'm glad they were able to figure out whats wrong with him.

Brandon and Jill said...

Hey Jan and Mark I don't know how you guys have done it that just breaks my heart! I am thanful however that he is doing better and that they found something out! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out! Love ya